Posts tagged virus
TOPIC: Frustrated with pop-ups, pop-unders, pre-load video ads and more? Worried about inadvertently clicking an ad and winding up in a malware vector site? Today we talk with Ben Williams of AdBlock Plus, arguable the most effective, respected, easiest to use and free-est ad blocker plugin and extension out there!
As an added tech bonus, Mike earns some sort of badge by coordinating a call from a Canadian visiting Panama City (that would be our intrepid co-host and world explorer Dave “Sparky” Saganaki), geek trivia and related great stuff from Louisville resident Jay Garmon, and successfully brings our interviewee in from Germany – all at the same time!
Speaking of geek trivia:
46 years ago this week, the Soviet spacecraft Zond 5 was the first to accomplish a feat often wrongly attributed to the Apollo program. What important spaceflight first did Zond 5 accomplish?
On the coolsites watch today, we’re going to direct you this way:
- AdBlock Plus – What we’re talking about!
A truly podcast only podcast only song of the week is the super nerdy, java loving “Java Life” rap from Oracle!
TOPIC: That’s right Apple lovers, Dave and Mike get yet another chance to break bad on Apple and it’s app store! We talk a bit about the DNS Changer malware issue, but if you’re reading/listening to this you’ve probably got it sorted out already anyways. Jay Garmon gets beat up a bit (not too bad) but still sticks with us to share this gem:
How many missing space shuttle mission numbers are there?
- WordHippo: Great collection of word tools – definitions, synonyms, antonyms, and more!
Podcast only song of the week is “Cocaine Blues” by Escort … extra bluesy!
TOPIC: Dave and Mike get to talk to Jeff Trachsel of NextWorth this week, and discuss how NextWorth can help you trade up (or at least get rid of) all that tech junk you’ve been collecting!
We also talk about Macintosh’s malicious malware that has descended on fully 600,000 of you supercilious, overconfident apple fanboys! (And yes, Mike does take a load of special joy out of this occurrence). Between that and Google glasses discussions we wind up missing out on Jay Garmon but he does send along a trivia question to keep us thinking for a week or two:
What is the first recognized software Easter egg — one that’s 45 years old?
We also get some great coolsites of the week in:
- DailyDislike – Exactly what it sounds like … tell people what you hate today!
- White Pages Neighborhoods – See who lives next to you! Phone numbers, addresses, and kids names … a little creepy perhaps but ultrauseful!
- Search EBooks – Great place to find downloadable copyright free e-Books and documents!
- HypeMachine – Great place (and app) to find new music!
The podcast only song of the week is “Mister LittleJeans” by Runaway.
TOPIC: Today we’re joined by Robert Siciliano from McAfee, who provides a great rundown on what you should be worried about going online this holiday season! We cover the gamut from android malware and driveby infections, to wrong transaction email phishing, scareware, and why you may not be as safe with that Mac as you think!
With Jay Garmon and Dave notably absent, Mike takes the opportunity (as usual) to rant. This week, Mike gets freaky about SOPA, and waxes on about what’s required for tablets to really take off in the marketplace.
Somehow, things stay on-track and on-time enough that we get some really great coolsites of the week too!
- McAfee AllAccess – Robert mentions McAfee’s awesome, comprehensive security package on-air in our interview, and it’s definitely worth checking out!
- idTheftSecurity – Robert’s personal website, with tons of great information, software links, video and more. If you ended the show wanting more Robert, this is the place to go!
- 2Houses – Great site for coordinating and communicating for separated parents managing children.
- PDFGeni – Search engine specifically designed to help you research and find complete – and free – pdf books online!
Podcast only song of the week is the jumping and fun “I’m Sexy and I Know It” by LMFAO!
TOPIC: Mike flies mainly solo today, discussing a wide range of things, including most notably the top malware to beware of courtesy of McAfee!
Jay Garmon can’t come on personally, but provides us with the answer to last week and a new way to entertain and educate with this trivia twister:
What world-famous web site activated it’s domain name on Valentine’s day 2005?
There’s even time for a few great coolsites of the week!
- MaComfort – Make that irritating PC interface look as mac-ey as it can!
- Comic Master – Easy to learn and use make your own comic book app for you or the kids!
- Office Training – Very in-depth training and reference guides for Office 2010 and 2007.
- RunKeeper – Free running and tracking app for your iPhone!
Podcast only song this week is Not a Love Song by Uh Huh Her!
TOPIC: This week we get a fantastic security tuneup with McAfee’s Dave Marcus! Dave is the Director of McAfee Labs Security Research Communications (you’d think a guy with ‘communication’ in his title could make his bio a little easier to umm, communicate?) … and he has a wealth of info and advice to share with us about social networking viruses and scams, who these rats are that are creating these things, and more! In fact, we have a such a great time, we’re hoping to make his presence on the show a semi-regular thing!
Before Dave, of course we put Jay Garmon in the hotseat, finally getting an answer to the previous Geek Trivia and impressing us with the next one:
How many kilo-calories are available in every gram of mass, per Einstein’s famous equation?
And if that wasn’t cool enough, Mike even manages to sneak in a few really cool sites of the week:
- McAfee.com – Check out here to get more info on McAfee and their products as well as McAfee’s security blog.
- McAf.ee – McAfee’s secure URL shortening service. This way you can share secure shortened URL’s with all your twitter and FB friends!
- ShareKeyboard – Links your Android phone and your computer’s keyboard so you can text and type with a full-size text entry device 😛
- DrawSpace – Great way to learn how to draw, or finetune some of your nascent skills … excellent for kids or adults!
- MyJobChart – Keep those kids motivated and productive, my jobchart is a ‘to-do’ list with points for kids!
A blustery Chicagoland day calls for a great podcast only song of the week – Lake Michigan by Rogue Wave!
TOPIC: This week we have the privilege of giving away TWO sets of iFrogz DJ Style Headphones! Plus Dave gets his own set to style for us, so the TechTalk team look is now complete … If you missed our review of these very cool (and great value) headphones, the blog entry is right HERE. The winners this week were ‘CurtIsHere‘ and ‘JimBred‘ – we’ll be contacting them for shipping info right away!
Didn’t win one yourself? Well, we’ve got two more to give away, so make sure you sign up for the newsletter – we’re picking winners out of the newsletter list now, so that’s all there is to it! Fill out the form HERE and you’ll be automatically entered in our giveaways from here on out!
In addition to all of that excitement, we of course have a blast with Jay and Geek Trivia, and then follow that up with a rousing discussion of viruses, STD’s (that’s “software transmitted diseases” if you didn’t know), malware, and the current state of fear. You can get great insights, information, and products at www.pctools.com anytime of course, but nothing beats having Mark on the phone to answer questions and give us the lowdown in our regular ‘Eye on Security’ spot!
Of course what would TechTalk be without our cool sites of the week? This week is no exception, with some really awesome sites:
- MS Office Live – Got a (free) LiveId? Well, now you’ve also got a fully functional sharepoint-style place to share project notes, to-do lists, shopping lists, contact information, whatever you can think of!
- MS SharePoint Designer – You don’t need sharepoint to use this better than decent web creation software … it’s not quite on par with my personal (and very expensive) favorite, Dreamweaver, but if you’re looking for something good and free, this is a great piece of software!
Our podcast only song of the week this week is the pumping DYOT by Dab Hands – tune it in! Catch you next week when we interview Mike Miller, prolific tech author at large!