Posts tagged phone
TOPIC: << NOTE – the final minutes of audio were cut off on this recording >> Dave and Mike wax on about mobile phone technology, and the lack thereof at CES as well as talking about how one guy lost his phone – but got it back by playing the oldest trick in the Internet playbook … pretending to be someone he’s not!
No Jay Garmon this week, but we’ll surely hear from him next time! On the flip side, that gives us tons of time for some great cool sites of the week:
- CellSwapper – Lets you trade your cell contract with others who have one you’d prefer! Not as crazy as it sounds .. and well managed too.
- Zapier – Automate all the ins and outs of your cloud services!
- Trello – The absolute BEST organizational system I’ve run across so far! Allows sharing, management, teaming, and more!
Due to the audio cutoff, there is no podcast only song this week. Sorry music lovers!
Recently I was given the opportunity to test drive a phone and service – Boost mobile’s newest pay-as-you-go offering (with shrinkage), and the newest android phone in their lineup, the Samsung Galaxy Prevail.
I’ve separated the review into two parts: Phone vs. Service, and given separate ratings to each.
TOPIC: Mike gets a little giddy with his new Samsung Galaxy phone (provided by Boost Mobile), but Dave brings him back to Earth with a few ripping good tales of bad security!
Our good friend Jay Garmon comes on with even more trivia and insight than we usually get:
What memorials were designed and built into spacecrafts Spirit and Opportunity before they launched for Mars?
We deliver on the coolsite front this week too:
- MyScriptFont – Make a font out of your own handwiting!
- Cacoo – Don’t need no Visio, go Cacoo! Do you Cacoo?
- Prezi – A perennial favorite, we mention it yet again on this episode as a Powerpoint killer.
And we end with the old-school podcast only song of the week “Papa Don’t Take No Mess” by James Brown!
TOPIC: Dave’s back and just in time for us to have a great show! Not only does Mike get in a nice rant on how not worth living life is without a smart phone, but Robert Wesley of NextWorth.com joins us for a fantastic discussion of what you should do with all that old – or gently used – tech … including finding out if any of it is really worth anything at all!
Of course we’re able to find time for Jay Garmon who gives us this timely question:
What medieval poet and author is responsible for the modern day celebration of April Fool’s?
There’s just enough time to squeeze a couple cool sites in, and here they are:
- Target.nextworth.com – find out the closest Target store to you that will handle recycling of those old phones! Works as well, or better, than just going straight to www.nextworth.com
- Google Sites – Easiest free way to create a quick website ever … complete with templates and help!
And we end with the podcast only song of “Jah is Real” by Burning Spear!
TOPIC: Mike shares some tips on how to save a few bucks on your phone bill – which of course is easy if you switch to cell only, but there’s some good ideas even if you choose to keep your land line! We also get into more texting statistics, and news and views about the weekly goings on in tech!
Jay Garmon weighs in with his ideas on what’s happening in the world of tech, and also provides another puzzler for your geek consideration this week:
What technique did Harry Houdini develop to debunk psychics – even after he died?
After that we keep up with the coolsites push!
- Google Vaccine Finder – Exactly what it sounds like; finds the nearest one to you. Do it now!
- Telegram Sender – Yes, a real old-timey looking telegram sent by you! Not free, but awfully cool.
- Yellow Pages Association – Stop getting ‘em! If you hate those giant blocks of dead trees as much as I do, you have to stop here and stop getting the yellow pages.
- Archive.org – Moving and still picture archives, free to look at, free to download, very awesome particularly for those trying to fill in graphics for that school presentation! Lots of great historical stuff.
Great podcast only song of the week this week is Emiliana Torrini’s “Weird Friendless Kid” No comments please
TOPIC: Dave comes back! Thanks to all the emails, calls, and letters (OK, OK make that “thanks to all the email – singular – and a call”) Dave hops back into the saddle for at least a week to hang with Mike and Jay as we swap stories, talk tech, get geeky about trivia, and just generally have a great time!
Plus, Mike shows off his shiny new TechTalk Google Voice number: 847-984-0847. Call us, leave a message, get heard on air! If we do use your voice on air and you’ve given us enough info to figure out who you are (say, an email address or something) you may get some TechTalk tchotchke’s too … or even a book!
With all the excitement going on, Dave being back on the show, and Jay Garmon’s awesome new geek trivia and personal website (http://jaygarmon.net natch), it would have been no shame to miss the cool sites of the week. But instead, we bring you two fantastic coolsites this week – check ‘em out:
- TextHog – Looking for an easy, quick way to track your cash expenses? TextHog may be the (free) answer for you! You don’t have to load in a bunch of personal data, just an email address and then start texting every expense – tagged however you like – off to texthog and you’ll get all the charts, graphs, and trends you could want. And you wont’ be taking money out of your pocket to do it!
- GroovyPost – No, this isn’t about where to score the most rad concert info on the Dead man. It’s all about some groovy tech tips and tricks, how-to’s and makes for a ton of stuff! Wondering how to get Google Voice on your iPhone? Add some internet calendars to Outlook? Click on over to GroovyPost!
And a jumping old-school podcast only song of the week “Is This New” by The Fall!