Posts tagged networking
TOPIC: Wondering what your true impact in the (online) world is? Don’t know how “social” you are? Klout exec Megan Berry is here to clear up any confusion you may have and help elevate you to 50+ Klout ranking overnight! OK, maybe not – even the guys at TechTalk can’t seem to get higher than mid 40′s – but Megan does a fantastic job of explaining what all the fuss is about and why you should be interested in improving your Klout score today!
Jay “Encyclopedia Garmonica” helps boost our Klout scores by providing yet another fabulous geek trivia question:
Who first thought he had discovered element #94 (now known as Plutonium), and what did he call it?
There’s even time for a couple cool sites of the week!
- Klout – Social impact measurment!
- GoMiles – Keep track of all those mileage programs and points in one place!
- SparkLines – Cool cell graphing feature from Excel 2010, now available in 2007 and 2003!
Great podcast only song of “Sleepyhead” by Passion Pit this week!
TOPIC: Mike and Dave get together for the final show of 2010 to do our usual shtick of news, views, interviews and reviews! We have the great pleasure of Karen Sohl of Cisco Consumer Products joining us to discuss the new router tech, how it’ll help you get all your media connected at home, and why you should think about upgrading that reliable (but older) router now! We talk specifically about the new Linksys E2000, E3000 and Cisco Valet Plus routers, so if you’re interested in any of these you’ll definitely want to tune in!
In addition to that – as if it weren’t enough – we get Jay Garmon onto ask the burning question(s) of the week:
Where were the crowd noises being used for the new movie Tron Legacy sourced?
Believe it or not, we even manage to find time for one great coolsites of the week, courtesy of Lou from Australia:
- Hop Shop & Go – Provides International shoppers a legit US address so that you can patronize those online merchants that won’t ship out of the country!
And of course no show would be complete without the podcast only song of the week – This week we heat things up with Passport Feat. Sciryl by Turnstylz!
TOPIC: This week we get a fantastic security tuneup with McAfee’s Dave Marcus! Dave is the Director of McAfee Labs Security Research Communications (you’d think a guy with ‘communication’ in his title could make his bio a little easier to umm, communicate?) … and he has a wealth of info and advice to share with us about social networking viruses and scams, who these rats are that are creating these things, and more! In fact, we have a such a great time, we’re hoping to make his presence on the show a semi-regular thing!
Before Dave, of course we put Jay Garmon in the hotseat, finally getting an answer to the previous Geek Trivia and impressing us with the next one:
How many kilo-calories are available in every gram of mass, per Einstein’s famous equation?
And if that wasn’t cool enough, Mike even manages to sneak in a few really cool sites of the week:
- McAfee.com – Check out here to get more info on McAfee and their products as well as McAfee’s security blog.
- McAf.ee – McAfee’s secure URL shortening service. This way you can share secure shortened URL’s with all your twitter and FB friends!
- ShareKeyboard – Links your Android phone and your computer’s keyboard so you can text and type with a full-size text entry device
- DrawSpace – Great way to learn how to draw, or finetune some of your nascent skills … excellent for kids or adults!
- MyJobChart – Keep those kids motivated and productive, my jobchart is a ‘to-do’ list with points for kids!
A blustery Chicagoland day calls for a great podcast only song of the week – Lake Michigan by Rogue Wave!