TOPIC: We talk a lot about Sony and “The Interview”, but we also have a GREAT talk with Joe Oddo of Verizon Wireless about the latest and greatest mobile devices for your holiday shopping! Joe comes in-studio to break down the questions you should ask when you are in the store – and what questions you should be asking yourself before even leaving the house!
Mike finishes up by predicting 1,000,000 illegal downloads of “The Interview” by January 15th, and then Jay Garmon asks us a very well timed geek trivia question:
What percentage of the Earth’s population tuned in to the Apollo 8 Christmas Eve broadcast?
We don’t have many, but a few themed app usage coolsites for the shopping season seem appropriate:
- RetailMeNot app – Use this app to check deals around you as well as online before you buy!
- Trello – Keep a list, check it twice … never forget what you’re out there buying!
- Google Keep – Like a cross between evernote, onenote, and trello, Google makes it easy to track what you’re doing and any information you need at hand to make your holiday season as organized and enjoyable as possible!
Have wonderful Christmas and New Years this year … and to kick that off you can rock to some very metal XMas with Bob River’s “I Am Santa Claus!” (to the tune of “I Am Iron Man”)
TOPIC: The week before Christmas, come join us as we get our geek on! From Kindles in education to more (yes, really, more) security issues and the big Sony hack, we have a blast!
::NOTE:: MINOR TECHNICAL ISSUES PERVADE THE FIRST QUARTER OF THE SHOW … some skipping and short missed sections.
Jay Garmon joins us to throw his far more than 2 cents in, including this awesome geek trivia gem:
How much power did the world’s first electricity generating nuclear reactor generate, and how did they prove it?
Have a great weekend and wonderful Christmas this year … and don’t forget to tune next week! Also, jam out to “A Very Voldemort Christmas” by Draco and the Malfoys!
TOPIC: It’s a tough week for movies and TV with Sony hacked and CBS and Dish battling it out (guess who loses that fight? Hint: it’s neither of them!) Jay and I also have a great time discussing how Stephen Hawking uses Swiftkey programming to recreate his communications and – OF COURSE – we get deep into the first Star Wars trailer!
Don’t miss this geek trivia question from Jay Garmon:
What other vertebrates were also “along for the ride” on the Apollo 17 mission?
Not a lot of time, but we do sneak one cool site of the week in:
- Google Express – Can’t get what you want from Amazon Prime, or don’t want to pay their premium? Now you can get same day and next day delivery on items you buy via Google shopping! Note that this is not offered everywhere yet (we don’t get it north of Chicago yet, but if you’re in a major city you might be covered).
Great, rocking little tune “Get Free” by Major Lazer will finish us off!
TOPIC: That’s right, Dave “Sparky” Saganaki makes it across the border to join us in studio! That means crystal clear Dave all day long … and some great conversation! We cover exciting new happenings in the world of Microsoft, competing head-to-head with Google by offering unlimited storage and “cheapbooks” coming out. We also touch on security, Facebook misinformation, and what you can do this holiday season to help your tech challenged friends and family out (because you KNOW it’s going to happen)!
Speaking of Facebook misinformation, if there’s one tip you take away with you from our show this week, it’s to always – ALWAYS – look questionable stuff up by using some googlefu. Add “site:snopes.com” to the end of any key words to find out what’s junk and what’s legit on the web this week!
No geek trivia, but some GREAT coolsites of the week!
- Comodo Antivirus – One of the key apps you’ll need to help your relatives out with all their tech needs this season!
- Revo Uninstaller – Don’t forget to keep this perennial favorite on your thumb drive too of course.
- Radio Paradise Streaming App – A great Internet station, with a fantastic app for your mobile device too!
- HabitRPG – Gamify your life, make – or break – habits at the same time you level up!
The podcast only song this week is designed to get you geeked up for Christmas this year – Fountains of Wayne, “I Want an Alien for Christmas”
TOPIC: Some really cool stuff is happening, with Google identifying what’s going on in your pictures, everyone giving away free terrabytes of storage, and there’s now a drone kiss-cam at TGIFriday’s (at least in the UK) … but of course what everyone REALLY wants to know is how to pay the lowest price this holiday shopping season – so here are our picks for best mobile apps to help you get teh dealz:
- Walmart Savings Catcher – Use the mobile app to check prices in real time, or you can even wait until you get home and scan the receipt!
- Amazon Scan App – NEVER wonder if you could have gotten that item cheaper online again, just scan the barcode and you can check out pricing and online reviews, and even purchase it immediately from your phone!
- ShopForKids App – Get reviews, warnings, and competitive pricing for all your kid and baby gifts this season! Available for both Android and iOS
And we throw a few “regular” coolsites of the week for good measure too!
- Wikiwand – Turns those dry, boring wikipedia pages into sweet digital encyclopedias!
- Netflix Roulette – Tired of relying on Netflix’s boring or confusing picks for you? Pick a genre and spin the wheel to find some new flicks to watch!
Enjoy our podcast only song of the week “Struggle” by Ringside!
TOPIC: The Mag Mile got a little more magnificent this week with the addition of the Verizon destination store – and TechTalk got a special media invite to check it out for you! Mike managed to get the – slightly shocked – admiration of Verizon staff by being the only guest at the drone demo platform to ask the question “how do I sneak this thing around so I can spy on people?”
Before that, BigMarker CEO Zhu-Seong Mei bought Mike a Sandwich Cubano downtown, and gave a special scoop on their new digs – and new partnership with TechWeek in LA for FREE BigMarker access to this amazing conference!
There’s far too much talk about Kim Kardashian’s butt, which we don’t miss a chance to bring Jay Garmon on to talk about – but he does also weigh in on the whole “using drones to spy” debate, answers last week’s question and give us this one to chew on:
How long did Microsoft continue support of Windows 1.0?
And we finish off with a rousing rendition – and homage to Kim Khardasian’s attempt to “break the Internet” with Butter’s “What What In The Butt”!
TOPIC: Joe Oddo joins us in-studio today to talk mobile devices, and how to make that tough decision about which one you should get for your pocket! Unfortunately, Mike, Dave, and Jay are so chatty we barely let Joe get a word in edgewise! There’s a lot of news, a lot of great geek trivia, but a LOT less Joe than we wanted so he’ll be coming back next month!
Speaking of geek trivia, try this one on for size:
What was the connection speed of the world’s first Internet router?
As an extra bonus, you get to listen to us try to decide:
If you could only pick one OS (Windows, iOS, Chrome, Linux, etc.) for all your devices, which would it be?
A surprisingly difficult question to answer, that results in some very surprising answers!
TOPIC: We’ve been hitting this topic hard the last several weeks or so, but now we’ve got someone on who really knows something about it! John Miley from Kiplinger’s letter joins us today for a great post-Halloween show where we get into the down and dirty about Apple Pay, Google Wallet, NFC, and how trusting your phone with your ID could change a whole lot more than just how to pay for that latte!
Jay Garmon provides a sad but appropriate shout out to our brave men and women in space with this question:
How many pilots in total have been killed in space training missions?
We even get some cool sites and a podcast only song of the week in!
- Digital Dudz – Add a realistic beating heart or third eye to your costume next year with this free phone app.
- @johntmiley – Follow John for more great stuff!
- Kiplinger’s – Updates and future looks at how the technology of today will make our lives better, or at least different, tomorrow!
Blast from the past sound with Cut Copy’s “Let Me Show You Love” – enjoy!
TOPIC: Mike tries really, really hard to keep Dave from turning his cynical eye to the mouth of the enormous gift horse that is Microsoft, as we talk about the studio adoption of Office 365 for Business … which we got for free as a non-profit!
If that isn’t enough to get you listening, Randy Freiburger from Ford Motor Company joins us to talk about the very cool, very advanced new technologies that our law enforcement and safety officers are using today. I’m sure you’ll be as surprised as I was at the tools and capabilities that these courageous men and women have at their disposal! TechTalk even gets an exclusive reveal of the newest Ford tech to hit the streets this month – but you’ll have to listen all the way through to hear it!
Podcast only song is “You’ll Find a Way” by Santigold! Enjoy and tune in next week for even more great TechTalk!
TOPIC: “NOT fun” … that’s how Mike describes his last 7-10 days of working through a brutal and frustrating (and surprisingly dumb) PHP injection hack on our website. He shares some of that experience – and a few tips to avoid it yourself – in a very deep tech episode of TechTalk! Shouts out by the way to our hosting provider, DreamHosters, who did a great job of alerting us to the issue and providing enough information that we could sort it out.
(BTW if you sign up for a website at DreamHosters, use the TechTalkWRLR promo code and you will get $10 off the first year, or $25 off if you go for two! That’s more than 15% off, just for listening to our show)
We also talk a little about the Ebola problem, and where you can get more information on your phone:
- About Ebola – This app is exactly as advertised … info and science about Ebola, plus a quiz or two to make sure you’re paying attention!
- Ebola Plague, the game – I’m not linking you to this one, because yuck. In so many ways, just yuck.
To top it off, Justin comes in for a HearthStone “Kids Talk Tech” and dances around to “Lady Java” from the Java Zone!