SHOW SUMMARY – Preston Smalley takes a break from Comcast X1 app development to share what they are doing today, and how you can keep watching the Cubs (or Bears, or BlackHawks) WITHOUT risking your marriage!
- Holllly Cooowwwwww! Go Cubs!
- Back to the Future week is here!
- Twitter laying off folks
Jay “Geek Trivia” Garmon Trivia Answer
When did FORTRAN stop requiring all capital letters in it’s command structure?
Coolsites of the Week
- XFinity.com – Start here to find out what you’ve been missing!
- StudioXFinity.com – Get location and service information from the Chicago flagship, make an appointment, sign up for a demo, and more!
Podcast Only Song of the Week
SHOW SUMMARY – Paul Ulreich from Verizon comes back on-air to discuss home automation, the new data plans, and more! IFTTT your lights? You got it! Everything you never thought you could use your phone for, and then some 🙂
- Google drive is DOWN! (but find out why neither Mike nor Dave care)
- Have you backed up your data yet?
- Security chat
Jay “Geek Trivia” Garmon Trivia Answer
What Int’l treaty keeps our Mars rovers from exploring the newly discovered water areas?
Coolsite of the Week
- EBCD (Linux version, on USB) – You don’t realize how much you need this until you have it!
Podcast Only Song of the Week
TOPIC: A great show this week for anyone concerned about getting hacked or – worse yet – simply LOSING all those passwords you’re forced to create every website you go to! Rob Dinuzzo (but you should call him “Roboform” Dinuzzo – it’s a nickname we’re hoping will catch on quick) joins us and spreads his knowledge and advice around freely.
For more info and to check out a great way to start being more secure today, look into the very friendly Roboform products yourself … in fact, that’s going to be our one cool site of the week this week:
- Roboform.com – The place to go, it’s just that easy! Roboform covers many OS and mobile devices, and comes in a wide variety of free and inexpensive offerings.
TOPIC: “NOT fun” … that’s how Mike describes his last 7-10 days of working through a brutal and frustrating (and surprisingly dumb) PHP injection hack on our website. He shares some of that experience – and a few tips to avoid it yourself – in a very deep tech episode of TechTalk! Shouts out by the way to our hosting provider, DreamHosters, who did a great job of alerting us to the issue and providing enough information that we could sort it out.
(BTW if you sign up for a website at DreamHosters, use the TechTalkWRLR promo code and you will get $10 off the first year, or $25 off if you go for two! That’s more than 15% off, just for listening to our show)
We also talk a little about the Ebola problem, and where you can get more information on your phone:
- About Ebola – This app is exactly as advertised … info and science about Ebola, plus a quiz or two to make sure you’re paying attention!
- Ebola Plague, the game – I’m not linking you to this one, because yuck. In so many ways, just yuck.
To top it off, Justin comes in for a HearthStone “Kids Talk Tech” and dances around to “Lady Java” from the Java Zone!
TOPIC: Today we talk with Zhu-song Mei, CEO and founder of Chicago based BigMarker.com – a free and massively social take on the video conferencing and webinar space, interested in making knowledge more accessible! Zhu-song has a ton of great things to share, and we even get a little down and dirty with WebRTC and HTML5 talk!
All that comes after our usual news and views with Dave “Sparky” Saganaki, though we do miss Jay this week.
On the coolsites end of things, we’re going to keep it simple with these:
- BigMarker.com – What we’re talking about! Check it out, and set up a free account to host your own educational or business community webinars.
- Bigmarker Blog – Read more and subscribe to get updates from the folk over at BigMarker.
- And don’t forget to follow @Bigmarker on Twitter!
We finish it off with one of my personal favorite podcast only songs of the week “Over and Over” by Hot Chip!
TOPIC: Are you one of the millions of people looking for a job, and not sure if your paper resume, LinkedIn profile and friendly cover letter are doing the trick? Join us today as we talk to David Chen from Strikingly! He tells us about the Strikingly service and how it provides a beautiful online resume for you to share, or an easy way to create a full website without that cookie cutter look.
We dish on Beats, talk about sex offender apps, and more, but really most of that is just marking time until good friend Jay Garmon shows up to provide this awesome question of the week:
What was the first Internet browser that supported tabbed browsing?
Coolsites of the week are back and as awesome as ever!
- FamilyWatchdog.us – Enter your address or city and get an interactive map so you can be forewarned!
- Friend Verifier App for Facebook – This app will scan your facebook friends, compare them against a national database and let you know if any of them have been forced to register.
- Strikingly – What we’re talking about!
- Strikingly LinkedIn OneClick – Automagically pulls your LinkedIn profile and creates a beautiful, interactive and editable online resume for you!
TOPIC: No, we’re not talking about Mike, but the Bard of Avon himself, William Shakespeare! He’s known to have invented or inspired over 2,000 words in the English language, including eyeball, birthplace, laughable, hobnob, undress, and even “skim milk”!
Joining us to discuss not just Shakespeare’s works, but how they can be more effectively introduced to teens through mobile devices and media is Nick Brous. Nick is the founder of First Folio Productions, bringing Shakespeare to kids via Movies, Music, and digital Media!
Jay Garmon joins us for the discussion, and also provides this bit of geek trivia for your consideration:
What was the largest financial settlement in history for the hacking of credit card data?
No time for coolsites of the week this week, but make sure and follow up on our story via these:
- Hamlet2014 – The main site of First Folio Productions, and the place to go to for more information about the ebook, music, and upcoming Hamlet movie … speaking of which:
- Hamlet: Son of a Kingpin – The Hamlet movie site has links to trailers and more info about release!
- Hamlet Digital Textbook – Find out more about the digital textbook, or sign up for your copy here.
We finish this great interview off with Sara Tunes’ rendition of Ophelia’s Valentine’s Day from the upcoming movie. Enjoy!
TOPIC: Paul comes in from Verizon to talk to us about gadgets, droids, phones, Motorola, home automation and security, the impending death of blackberry and more! We have a blast with our rare in-studio visit, and even get some of the usuals out of the way too …
Jay Garmon comes back and we remember to get a trivia question out of him this week:
What is the original Einstein formulation of the concept we know today as E = mc2 ?
We even get an awesome list of coolsites in too!
- Verizon Wireless: We’d be remiss if we didn’t send a special shout out to Verizon for giving us Paul and some cool gadgets to check out and tell you about! You can find their stores pretty much everywhere!
- Tab Bill Splitter: This app for iPhone and Android lets you easily take a restaurant receipt and split it among your guests evenly, identifying who had what, how much the tax and tip should be and makes sure there’s no more fighting over “who had that coke, no ice!”
The podcast only song of the week this week is: “Vaporize” by Broken Bells!
TOPIC: Gack! Twice in the last 7+ years we have recorded a phenomenal interview, and then lost it. This is time #2. So you won’t have the opportunity to join myself and Steve “MoneyPlanSOS” Stewart as we talk to good friend Mark Beare about his company ReviverSoft and the very cool info and apps that he’s providing there. You should go straight to their website, but before then check this great YouTube video out … it can’t match the awesomeness of live chat the TechTalk show, but what kind of a standard is that anyways? 🙂
ReviverSoft Video “Love your computer again!”
Believe it or not we even had some fantastic coolsites, not just from Mark, but Steve as well! Check these out:
- YesYouCanPodcastToo.com – Think you can do a better job than us? Well, I can pretty much guarantee it! Steve is there to help too … a veteran ‘caster himself this site will help you put together the basics of a successful podcast. Steve brought this to us as an exclusive!
- Heard – an app, not a website, this (creepy?) little thing perpetually records all conversation and ambient audio through the iphone mic in 5 minute blocks that you can save, go back to and listen to again, share, whatever you want! The NSA can eat their heart out!
- ReviverSoft – “Love your computer again!” is the motto of ReviverSoft … if things are going slow, you hate your windows 8 (lack of) start button, or have any other tech and PC questions just log in and ask away! Chances are your common issues already have an answer and video associated, but if not – send an email to them and they’ll set you up right
Podcast only song of the week you’d have to find on your own anyways, so I’m not even going to bother! Listen to your favorite David Byrne and get back to me 😉
TOPIC: Dave and Mike get to talk to Jeff Trachsel of NextWorth this week, and discuss how NextWorth can help you trade up (or at least get rid of) all that tech junk you’ve been collecting!
We also talk about Macintosh’s malicious malware that has descended on fully 600,000 of you supercilious, overconfident apple fanboys! (And yes, Mike does take a load of special joy out of this occurrence). Between that and Google glasses discussions we wind up missing out on Jay Garmon but he does send along a trivia question to keep us thinking for a week or two:
What is the first recognized software Easter egg — one that’s 45 years old?
We also get some great coolsites of the week in:
- DailyDislike – Exactly what it sounds like … tell people what you hate today!
- White Pages Neighborhoods – See who lives next to you! Phone numbers, addresses, and kids names … a little creepy perhaps but ultrauseful!
- Search EBooks – Great place to find downloadable copyright free e-Books and documents!
- HypeMachine – Great place (and app) to find new music!
The podcast only song of the week is “Mister LittleJeans” by Runaway.