Archive for December, 2014
TOPIC: We talk a lot about Sony and “The Interview”, but we also have a GREAT talk with Joe Oddo of Verizon Wireless about the latest and greatest mobile devices for your holiday shopping! Joe comes in-studio to break down the questions you should ask when you are in the store – and what questions you should be asking yourself before even leaving the house!
Mike finishes up by predicting 1,000,000 illegal downloads of “The Interview” by January 15th, and then Jay Garmon asks us a very well timed geek trivia question:
What percentage of the Earth’s population tuned in to the Apollo 8 Christmas Eve broadcast?
We don’t have many, but a few themed app usage coolsites for the shopping season seem appropriate:
- RetailMeNot app – Use this app to check deals around you as well as online before you buy!
- Trello – Keep a list, check it twice … never forget what you’re out there buying!
- Google Keep – Like a cross between evernote, onenote, and trello, Google makes it easy to track what you’re doing and any information you need at hand to make your holiday season as organized and enjoyable as possible!
Have wonderful Christmas and New Years this year … and to kick that off you can rock to some very metal XMas with Bob River’s “I Am Santa Claus!” (to the tune of “I Am Iron Man”)
TOPIC: The week before Christmas, come join us as we get our geek on! From Kindles in education to more (yes, really, more) security issues and the big Sony hack, we have a blast!
::NOTE:: MINOR TECHNICAL ISSUES PERVADE THE FIRST QUARTER OF THE SHOW … some skipping and short missed sections.
Jay Garmon joins us to throw his far more than 2 cents in, including this awesome geek trivia gem:
How much power did the world’s first electricity generating nuclear reactor generate, and how did they prove it?
Have a great weekend and wonderful Christmas this year … and don’t forget to tune next week! Also, jam out to “A Very Voldemort Christmas” by Draco and the Malfoys!
TOPIC: It’s a tough week for movies and TV with Sony hacked and CBS and Dish battling it out (guess who loses that fight? Hint: it’s neither of them!) Jay and I also have a great time discussing how Stephen Hawking uses Swiftkey programming to recreate his communications and – OF COURSE – we get deep into the first Star Wars trailer!
Don’t miss this geek trivia question from Jay Garmon:
What other vertebrates were also “along for the ride” on the Apollo 17 mission?
Not a lot of time, but we do sneak one cool site of the week in:
- Google Express – Can’t get what you want from Amazon Prime, or don’t want to pay their premium? Now you can get same day and next day delivery on items you buy via Google shopping! Note that this is not offered everywhere yet (we don’t get it north of Chicago yet, but if you’re in a major city you might be covered).
Great, rocking little tune “Get Free” by Major Lazer will finish us off!
TOPIC: That’s right, Dave “Sparky” Saganaki makes it across the border to join us in studio! That means crystal clear Dave all day long … and some great conversation! We cover exciting new happenings in the world of Microsoft, competing head-to-head with Google by offering unlimited storage and “cheapbooks” coming out. We also touch on security, Facebook misinformation, and what you can do this holiday season to help your tech challenged friends and family out (because you KNOW it’s going to happen)!
Speaking of Facebook misinformation, if there’s one tip you take away with you from our show this week, it’s to always – ALWAYS – look questionable stuff up by using some googlefu. Add “site:snopes.com” to the end of any key words to find out what’s junk and what’s legit on the web this week!
No geek trivia, but some GREAT coolsites of the week!
- Comodo Antivirus – One of the key apps you’ll need to help your relatives out with all their tech needs this season!
- Revo Uninstaller – Don’t forget to keep this perennial favorite on your thumb drive too of course.
- Radio Paradise Streaming App – A great Internet station, with a fantastic app for your mobile device too!
- HabitRPG – Gamify your life, make – or break – habits at the same time you level up!
The podcast only song this week is designed to get you geeked up for Christmas this year – Fountains of Wayne, “I Want an Alien for Christmas”