Archive for October, 2014
TOPIC: Mike tries really, really hard to keep Dave from turning his cynical eye to the mouth of the enormous gift horse that is Microsoft, as we talk about the studio adoption of Office 365 for Business … which we got for free as a non-profit!
If that isn’t enough to get you listening, Randy Freiburger from Ford Motor Company joins us to talk about the very cool, very advanced new technologies that our law enforcement and safety officers are using today. I’m sure you’ll be as surprised as I was at the tools and capabilities that these courageous men and women have at their disposal! TechTalk even gets an exclusive reveal of the newest Ford tech to hit the streets this month – but you’ll have to listen all the way through to hear it!
Podcast only song is “You’ll Find a Way” by Santigold! Enjoy and tune in next week for even more great TechTalk!
TOPIC: “NOT fun” … that’s how Mike describes his last 7-10 days of working through a brutal and frustrating (and surprisingly dumb) PHP injection hack on our website. He shares some of that experience – and a few tips to avoid it yourself – in a very deep tech episode of TechTalk! Shouts out by the way to our hosting provider, DreamHosters, who did a great job of alerting us to the issue and providing enough information that we could sort it out.
(BTW if you sign up for a website at DreamHosters, use the TechTalkWRLR promo code and you will get $10 off the first year, or $25 off if you go for two! That’s more than 15% off, just for listening to our show)
We also talk a little about the Ebola problem, and where you can get more information on your phone:
- About Ebola – This app is exactly as advertised … info and science about Ebola, plus a quiz or two to make sure you’re paying attention!
- Ebola Plague, the game – I’m not linking you to this one, because yuck. In so many ways, just yuck.
To top it off, Justin comes in for a HearthStone “Kids Talk Tech” and dances around to “Lady Java” from the Java Zone!
TOPIC: You may or may not heard of this whole Google Wallet and NFC thing, but if you haven’t, Apple is going to make sure you do soon … very, very soon! Dave and Mike give you a rundown on this, some additional things to worry about regarding bank security, and more!
But wait, there’s more! Jay Garmon joins us for some great conversation and this brain bender:
What did Linux Torvald originally want to name the Linux OS, and who made him call it Linux instead?
Cool apps/time-wasters of the week:
- Monster Busters – Apple OS only, a great free “match three” Candy Crush style game that beats the pants of the venerable CC in our opinion. If you’ve got an iPad or iPhone check it out!
- HearthStone – iPad and Windows PC, from battle.net and part of the “World of Warcraft” universe, this deck building battle game is a ton of fun and very social. It’s part of an upcoming “Kids Talk Tech” too!
TOPIC: Today we talk with Zhu-song Mei, CEO and founder of Chicago based BigMarker.com – a free and massively social take on the video conferencing and webinar space, interested in making knowledge more accessible! Zhu-song has a ton of great things to share, and we even get a little down and dirty with WebRTC and HTML5 talk!
All that comes after our usual news and views with Dave “Sparky” Saganaki, though we do miss Jay this week.
On the coolsites end of things, we’re going to keep it simple with these:
- BigMarker.com – What we’re talking about! Check it out, and set up a free account to host your own educational or business community webinars.
- Bigmarker Blog – Read more and subscribe to get updates from the folk over at BigMarker.
- And don’t forget to follow @Bigmarker on Twitter!
We finish it off with one of my personal favorite podcast only songs of the week “Over and Over” by Hot Chip!