Archive for June, 2014
TOPIC: Every once in a while, we like to break away from the purely digital entertainment thing and throw down with a little old-school, analog board gaming. One of our house favorites for some time now has been the outstanding “Ticket to Ride” series by Days of Wonder. The only problem with analog? It totally doesn’t fulfill my deep-seated, nearly compulsive need for detailed statistics and progress tracking.
This started out really as a “proof of concept” of what was possible in Google Sheets, but in the end was nearly as much fun to create and get “just so” as it is to play the game itself! Anyone who has played TTR will immediately see the value in not having to chase little wooden pieces around the floor while playing, double and triple-checking people’s addition, or verifying that all of the trains are still present either on the board or in a bag – this sheet will do all of that for you. It also includes a few of what I considered the most relevant graphs and charts.
I invite you to check it out, download it, change it, make suggestions and comments … I’d love to hear your input and see if it can be improved!
- If the link inline above does not work, try copying and pasting this into your browser bar: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aihqewrs7Ds6dGJLS0dlZDBUSU1aZUNDNWRMeEtTcGc&usp=sharing
- Alternatively, it also exists in the Google Template miniverse, and can be found with a search on “Ticket to Ride” or via this link: https://drive.google.com/templates?q=ticket+to+ride&view=public
Either way, thanks for checking it out and if you do use it, let me know!
TOPIC: After a little breakdown Gangnam Style, and shock that nearly half of us have been hacked, we are joined by special guest Fred Hoch, CEO of the Illinois Technology Association! Fred tells us what’s wrong – and right – with the technology business economy in Illinois, and what he and other Chicago-based organizations are doing to make it even better!
On top of an awesome interview with Fred, we even have time for a few great Coolsites of the Week this week:
- Illinois Technology Association (ITA) – What this show is all about! Located right downtown, these folks are working hard to keep Illinois working hard and bringing tech companies together.
- TechNexus – The technology “clubhouse” Fred started to get tech people talking.
- Swell (Beta) – Beta only for Android, but this streaming news service is something you should jump on as soon as you can! Like Pandora, but for news …
- Isoscope – Walking ranges in cities
- FlipQuiz.me – Jeopardy! style quizzes, easy to make, free, sharable, online, what more could you ask for?
- Quartermaster.info – All of you fellow GoT geeks need to jump in to this amazing interactive map, character information, travel paths complete with both start and bloody endpoints … and all sans spoilers!
Podcast only song of the week this week is the chill “This Head I Hold” by Electric Guest!