Archive for March, 2014
TOPIC: Do you run or bike regularly? What about scooter, stride or stumble? Look, if you move at ALL with a smart phone strapped to your side you should go download the awesome Charity Miles app today! Founder Gene Gurkoff comes on-air to tell us about the inspiration for the app, and how it motivates you by supporting worthy charities with every mile, kilometer, and foot you go … you get the chance to not just do something good for yourself, but to simultaneously make things better for others too! As Gene says, Charity Miles is not a fitness app, it’s a purpose app. Turns out that today is the kickoff of Anna Judd beginning her run – Across. The. Country! – all for Charity Miles!
Jay Garmon gives us some great insight into the upcoming live broadcast we’re doing at ConGlomeration in a few weeks, complete with gaming recommendations, and then presents this brainbender:
Gemini 3 was the first mission that resulted in a reprimand for an astronaut in space. What did John Young and Gus Grissom do?
No coolsites needed after that – just make sure and check out AnnaRunsAmerica.com and CharityMiles.org of course – but we do get in an ultra-cool podcast only song of the week Walking Backwards by the Leagues!
TOPIC: Intermittent WiFi and Internet drops, no Skype service, occasionally garbled audio and a completely bemused and confounded host (well, moreso than normal anyways) doesn’t stop the show from going on! We may not have the option to call the POTUS directly, as our good friend Mark “Facebook” Zuckerberg does, but we wind up with a pretty darn good show anyways.
Both Dave Sanocki and Jay Garmon joining us for some high tech talk to get our minds out of the low-tech morass of a show we descended into! Jay even pulls this great question out for the week:
What was the most watched PBS show in history? (hint: it’s not Cosmos)
On Kids Talk Tech this week, Justin and Olivia share their undying love of Dr. Who – in 3 minutes or less! Can you guess who their favorite Doctor is?
TOPIC: We have lots of time to explore the fun – and danger – of anonymous chat and texting apps like Yik Yak, and also get into a deep dive on the hows and whys of Uber and other “alternative” ways to get to where you’re going!
Lots of Coolistes of the Week this week, surrounding the many things we talked about and more!
- RelayRides – Leave your car at the airport, and make money at the same time! Or, get a cheap ride wherever you go by borrowing someone else’s car!
- Uber – Always wanted to be a cab driver, but regulations, safety, and insurance all got in the way? Not an issue anymore with Uber!
- Cogi – Cool and free app of the week that allows you to record conversations, lectures, and more to save, highlight and share with a tap of your finger. The best thing is, it saves the last minute of recording at all times so you never miss an important point because you forgot to start recording!
Kids Talk Tech Justin talks about the series “Survive! Inside The Human Body” a Korean Mangha-style comic biology book that brings science and medicine to kids in a very engaging and exciting way!
Podcast only song of the week is “Dvno” by Justice!
TOPIC: Zach Sharpe, literal pinball wizard and number 2 ranked player IN THE WORLD comes on-air this week to talk pinball tourneys, history, and strategy! Never enough time of course, but he does give us some great links for more info and where you can go to get involved in some local tournaments today!
- PAPA – Professional and Amateur Pinball Association site has videos, tutorials, and lots of tourney news.
- IFPA Pinball – International Flipper Pinball Association website, with all sorts of great info, news, rankings and more!
- Pinfinder – An app for your iPhone that will help you hunt down those elusive pins!
Jay Garmon also provides us with his usual awesome trivia for all you triv geeks out there:
What other event celebrated it’s anniversary on the release date of the Sinclair ZX81 (3/5/1981)?
Jay also gave us a phenomenal writeup as we are the Featured Media Guests at this year’s Conglomeration sci-fi/fantasy/gaming/fan con! Join us in April for what promises to be a great weekend http://conglomeration.info – hope to see you there!