Archive for September, 2013
TOPIC: Paul comes in from Verizon to talk to us about gadgets, droids, phones, Motorola, home automation and security, the impending death of blackberry and more! We have a blast with our rare in-studio visit, and even get some of the usuals out of the way too …
Jay Garmon comes back and we remember to get a trivia question out of him this week:
What is the original Einstein formulation of the concept we know today as E = mc2 ?
We even get an awesome list of coolsites in too!
- Verizon Wireless: We’d be remiss if we didn’t send a special shout out to Verizon for giving us Paul and some cool gadgets to check out and tell you about! You can find their stores pretty much everywhere!
- Tab Bill Splitter: This app for iPhone and Android lets you easily take a restaurant receipt and split it among your guests evenly, identifying who had what, how much the tax and tip should be and makes sure there’s no more fighting over “who had that coke, no ice!”
The podcast only song of the week this week is: “Vaporize” by Broken Bells!
TOPIC: Enjoying the new release, Mike and Dave have a blast reminiscing about the “good old days” of music, why you need to back up all your data, and what’s going to happen now that we can timeshift everything in our lives! Mike also discusses his love of SpongeBob as a soporific.
We miss Jay Garmon this week, but can’t wait to talk to him next week, so tune in then! That does give us some time for these great coolsites of the week though:
- FantasyBuzzer – Doing fantasy football this season? If you’re not using fantasy buzzer then you’re doing it wrong! (or at least making your fantasy life much more difficult than it needs to be)
- Drync – Love wine? Can never remember that great wine that you had when you were out? With Drync in your pocket you’ll never have that problem again, and can even order it on the spot!
- UnTappd – Social connection for the beer drinkers among us! Let people know what you’re drinking, and give your friends a hard time for that miller light they’re so partial to!
- Book of Bad Arguments – Knowing and identifying the logical fallacy your friends are using sometimes just isn’t enough; in those cases you need cartoons!
We kind of drift off at the end as time runs out, but we wouldn’t short you on the podcast only song of the week – this week listen to Fingers Never Bleed” by YeaSayer!
TOPIC: AUDIO NOTE – There are a few spots in the recording where audio switches to single channel, or volume fades out … we apologize, and the issue has been corrected!
We let it all hang out this week, with just “the boys” around to talk tech, music, books, and whatever else strikes our fancy! A classic show for those that have been listening for a few years 🙂
Jay Garmon does his thang but we forget to get a new trivia! You’ll have to wait to next time for that …
We get in one pretty cool coolsite of the week this week – you may recall we talked last week about navigation with Google and Waze, but if you weren’t convinced (and still need a way to get around) check this out:
- NavFree USA – A navigation app for your phone that doesn’t require wifi or 3G or any other connectivity while it’s in use … trying to figure out what to do with that old “dead” phone? This is it!
The truly podcast only song of the week this week is “Went to War” by Amanson!
TOPIC: Trying to figure out where to go, how to get there, or how long it will take? Wondering if there’s traffic, a Starbucks, or a cop on the way? Google Maps (and their new acquisition Waze) can answer ALL of that and much much more – and Daniel Sieberg comes on air with us to share!
Dave is with us too, and Jay Garmon even gets a chance to (finally) answer last trivia question and provides a great new one for us to work on:
Before Steve Ballmer worked at Microsoft, where did he work – and who was his famous office-mate?
We have WAAAY too much time talking to Daniel to make time for coolsites of the week this week, but you should definitely check out
- maps.google.com – The site to start from if you haven’t check out Google Earth or maps or need navigation info. Links to the apps are there too!
- waze.com – Still it’s own site for a while even though they’re part of Google now, with their own app and interface you may like as much as the Google navigator.
The truly podcast only song of the week this week is “Fingers Never Bleed” by YeaSayer!