Archive for June, 2012
TOPIC: The title pretty much says it – technical issues, phone problems and all! We discuss what little we know surrounding Windows 8, more tablet talk, share some great coolsites of the week and even a visit from Jay Garmon gets squeezed in:
How many women have now flown in space, and what % of space travelers through history have been women?
- Textbooks-R-Us: By my experience, one of the better sites to get good value for your used textbooks!
- 8Tracks: Playlists generated by users make for an interesting take on new tunes!
- Stitcher: I resisted this one for a long time, but it turns out it’s a pretty awesome way of getting your TechTalk on (and any other podcasts that float your boat)!
- RecycleBank: Vouchers, coupons and other deals for being a good Earth resident!
Podcast only song of the week is “Down at McDonnelz” by Electric Six … jamming!
TOPIC: It’s the 75th anniversary of the founding of Round Lake Beach, Illinois and WRLR (and by extension the TechTalk show) is there! On the corner of the fair, honking horns and all … plus no Internet means we deliver a decidedly different show for you, filled with short blips of news and commentary and a solid 1/2 dozen or so tunes handpicked by yours truly.
Listen at your own risk; this one was fun to cut but is definitely NOT your typical TechTalk. Congrats to Round Lake Beach, and ENJOY! 🙂
TOPIC: In case you had any doubts, this week proves once again that your passwords and online accounts are anything but secure! Mike gives you some REAL advice on how to protect yourself (when you can anyways) …
To sweeten the pot we bring in awesome returning guest Kraig Lane from iolo Technologies, who talks to us about speeding that computer up, some of the myths and reality of Internet and PC slowdowns (and the software that purports to fix them), what’s in store with Windows 8 and mobile OS … plus some great info on System Mechanic and the newest versions available!
We get in a handful of great coolsites of week too:
- ManualsLib – A great collection of manuals for stuff you have around the house … never be lost without instructions again!
- GasBuddy – Find the cheapest gas around you!
- DuckDuckGo – Alternative, more secure and less intrusive search engine.
The podcast only song of the week is “Youth Without Youth” by Metric.
TOPIC: You know there’s no love lost here for the RIAA, and we consider them to generally be against all progress … but this time they got a bad rap! Mike swallows his pride (and credulity) to give the straight scoop on this one. Jay Garmon schools us on Marvel canon, and then drops this bomb:
What company has been included in the DOW Jones industrial average for it’s entire 115 year history?
Coolsites of the week are !
- ComicBooksArchive – Free classic comics. Did I mention, free!?
The podcast only song of the week is “RockIt” by Gorillaz.