Archive for November, 2011
TOPIC: Today we’re joined by Robert Siciliano from McAfee, who provides a great rundown on what you should be worried about going online this holiday season! We cover the gamut from android malware and driveby infections, to wrong transaction email phishing, scareware, and why you may not be as safe with that Mac as you think!
With Jay Garmon and Dave notably absent, Mike takes the opportunity (as usual) to rant. This week, Mike gets freaky about SOPA, and waxes on about what’s required for tablets to really take off in the marketplace.
Somehow, things stay on-track and on-time enough that we get some really great coolsites of the week too!
- McAfee AllAccess – Robert mentions McAfee’s awesome, comprehensive security package on-air in our interview, and it’s definitely worth checking out!
- idTheftSecurity – Robert’s personal website, with tons of great information, software links, video and more. If you ended the show wanting more Robert, this is the place to go!
- 2Houses – Great site for coordinating and communicating for separated parents managing children.
- PDFGeni – Search engine specifically designed to help you research and find complete – and free – pdf books online!
Podcast only song of the week is the jumping and fun “I’m Sexy and I Know It” by LMFAO!
Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/mkastler/techtalk.dreamhosters.com/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1056
TOPIC: Wondering what your true impact in the (online) world is? Don’t know how “social” you are? Klout exec Megan Berry is here to clear up any confusion you may have and help elevate you to 50+ Klout ranking overnight! OK, maybe not – even the guys at TechTalk can’t seem to get higher than mid 40’s – but Megan does a fantastic job of explaining what all the fuss is about and why you should be interested in improving your Klout score today!
Jay “Encyclopedia Garmonica” helps boost our Klout scores by providing yet another fabulous geek trivia question:
Who first thought he had discovered element #94 (now known as Plutonium), and what did he call it?
There’s even time for a couple cool sites of the week!
- Klout – Social impact measurment!
- GoMiles – Keep track of all those mileage programs and points in one place!
- SparkLines – Cool cell graphing feature from Excel 2010, now available in 2007 and 2003!
Great podcast only song of “Sleepyhead” by Passion Pit this week!
TOPIC: Or at least it should be! Mike and Dave get together right before Halloween this year to tell you spooky tech stories … well, maybe not so spooky, but Dave does apologize for his comments about Steve Jobs from a few weeks ago, and an apology from the TechTalk show can seem almost supernatural in it’s rarity. Tablets and a possibly too-long discussion of IVR rounds out the show before …
Jay “Encyclopedia Garmonica” treats us to a totally a propos Halloweeny geek trivia question:
What was the only manned space flight mission to take off on Halloween day?
And that leaves us ample time for some great seasonal coolsites of the week!
- PumpkinPatchesAndMore – Find all the local pumpkin patches in your area! Plus carving templates, recipes, and more.
- HalloweenPrintables – From the great folks at FreePrintables.net, come some cards, puzzles, and coloring pages just in time for Halloween!
- FantasyPumpkins – These are cool to look at all year, and include templates for many of the coolest pumpkins you’ve ever seen!
This week we treat your ears to a speed metal version of the classic “Every Day is Halloween” by Ministry.