Archive for October, 2011
Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/mkastler/techtalk.dreamhosters.com/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1056
TOPIC: Mike fights through a bad headcold to bring an excellent show to your ears – thanks mostly to his guests of course! Lead technology writer for the New York Times and author of the book “I Live in the Future & Here’s How it Works” Nick Bilton comes on for a solid half hour of cerebral social networking discussion, and we have Scott Andraschko, Director of IT for the Round Lake Area Schools as a special guest chiming in with some great insights too!
As if that wasn’t enough, we bring in regular Jay “Encyclopedia” Garmonica with another awesome geek trivia of the week:
What celebrity owned the GMail.com domain name in 2004, when Google purchased it for their mail service?
Nick provides a few great coolsites of the week, plus have time for one of our own too:
- TaskRabbit – Per Nick Bilton: Real people taking care of the tasks you don’t want to! Pay per job and find qualified safe help through Task Rabbit.
- FancyHands – Per Nick Bilton: Ever thought you might need a personal assistant? Here’s an easy (and relatively cheap) way to get one today! Research, rescheduling meetings, phone calls and letters … all for one set price per month!
- FaxDesk – Still faxing? But no fax machine? FaxDesk offers instant fax to email and email to fax services with one-off or permanent numbers.
The podcast only song of the week this week is “Je Veux te Voir” by Yelle.
TOPIC: Just Mike and geek buddy Jay Garmon here today, and even though Mike’s never been described as an Apple fanboy a good amount of time is spent discussing the impact that Steve and his ubiquitous bitten fruit have made on the world today. To honor Steve, the geek trivia question of the day is related and apropo:
What business did steve jobs want Pixar to be in when he bought them? (Hint – it WASN’T computer graphics and animation!)
In more positive news, the TechTalk Facebook fan page is officially unveiled! That makes it into our coolsites of the week, and make sure you visit it, like it, and share it!
- TechTalk on Facebook – Come check it out, like it, share it! Great place to swap geek trivia guesses, make suggestions for the show, and even listen live right on facebook!
- Ruck.us – Find like-minded politicos, wherever they may be, and make a ruckus! Options for joining movements, expressing your opinion, and even signing polls online.
The podcast only song of the week this week is “Howling for You” by The Black Keys.
TOPIC: Mike and Dave miss our good buddy Jay Garmon, but have a lot of fun anyways debating Pandora vs. Slacker vs. iTunes and your personal music collection … and whatever you pick now it’s all shared on Facebook, for better or worse! We get into some browser wars, security and police, and then find a little time for coolsites of the week:
- Desmos Graphing Calculator – Quick and easy, great looking graphs from your functions and data points; almost enough to make even Mike look smart!
- Stickman – A great game for those of us whose drawing ability is stuck at about 2nd grade!
- Google Flights – Searching, planes, airlines, prices. Perfect!
- Hipmunk – Great mobile and web app for finding not just the cheapest, but the best flights!
The podcast only song of the week this week is “Hang Me Up to Dry” by The Cold War Kids!