Archive for June, 2010
TOPIC: You may have seen him on “The Colbert Show,” but you’ll actually get to listen to him on TechTalk! We explore some of the deeper avenues of what it means to be DIY, why it’s happening now, and what part Mark Frauenfelder, former engineer and founder of boingboing.net is playing in it today.
It’s a true “don’t-miss” interview for the TechTalk guys, and Mark’s newest book “Made by Hand: Searching for Meaning in a Throwaway World” is definitely worth picking up and/or checking out! And hey, even if you don’t like the book, you’ll get some great ideas on how to repurpose it as a guitar, a fancy hat, or comfy lining for that chicken coop you’ve been meaning to build!
Jay Garmon insists on opening for Mark (or at least refuses to follow him), and as always does nothing to disappoint with the geek trivia question of the week:
What country has had two 4th of July’s in the same calendar year, and why?
Somehow, we even wind up with a few minutes to share some cool sites of the week:
- boingboing.net – Just one of the most popular and visited blog sites on the net; if you haven’t checked it out yet now’s a great time!
- Rapportive – Adds social networking and info to gmail and other mail clients!
The podcast only song of the week this week is Lisztomania (Alex Metric remix) by Pheonix!
TOPIC: The title of this one pretty much says it all, but doesn’t give you a hint at what an awesome guest Tom was! We don’t have nearly the time needed to get into all the cool stories from the Economist’s special Technology Quarterly insert (though we give it that old college try), but Tom’s promised to come back next quarter and fill us in again!
Jay Garmon does his usual great job at keeping us on our geek trivia toes, asking this question:
Besides our moon, what are the only 3 other non-planets that humans have landed a spaceprobe on?
Because of the brilliant discussion with Tom, we cut short the ‘cool sites of the week’ this week and keep it to only a couple, related to the show:
- Economist Technology Quarterly – Find out what Tom and I missed by reading it online!
- Tom Standage.com – Tom’s not only the business affairs editor for the UK division of the Economist, but has a lot of great stuff that you won’t find anywhere else but going straight to the source!
The podcast only song of the week this week is Kriss Kross by the Guillemots!
TOPIC: OK, I know lots of people are expecting world cup discussion, but I’m betting none of the true geeks really gives two bytes about that whole soccer/football thing, so what we do talk about is Google’s image faux pas, 4G WiFi woes and wonders, and more!
Jay Garmon does help us spend some time rambling about the Blackhawk’s recent victory, but hey, we’re in Chicago baby! Then he provides once again a super-stupendous geek trivia question for the week:
What were the only 2 pieces of information that made it out on both Pioneer and Voyager missions to help communicate with aliens?
The coolsites of the week are sure to impress as always:
- GiftCardGrannie.com – Hate paying full price for gift cards? Check this site out – it’ll show you the hottest places to get your money for free!
- FatWallet.com – Better than a coupon site, this shows you the coolest deals around! Oh sure, there’s some online coupons too, but with a social element that really makes a difference.
- Readability – Really helps you see the news and other information sites you are squinting at online more easily! Easy to configure, and can make it look like you’re reading a newspaper or magazine instead of trying to decipher tiny LCD dots!
- CraigLook.com – Beautiful craigslist skin … just in case you are tired of the ultra-plain Craigslist look!
The podcast only song of the week this week is Pattern Recognition by Science for Girls!
TOPIC: The audio quality may be poor, but the content quality is up to our usual standards (about mediocre) in this “lost” episode – we were SURE the mic’s were off for this one, but thanks to one dedicated listener (that means YOU GeorgeAI from Denver – who’s getting a super cool TechTalk cap for his trouble!) this episode was captured for posterity!
We stack the deck with some way cool coolsites that I thought I’d get to use again, but you’ll catch them here first:
- Evil – Not really, just shows you some people who haven’t hidden their facebook phone numbers as well as they think they have!
- TripAdvisor.com – Find out info on all the places you are thinking of going, plus some great deals and recommendations. According to Dave, the blogs are the best!
- TripWolf.com – a slightly more social take on the TripAdvisor idea, where you can post pics and notes on your favorite places!
- Yapta.com – Already bought a ticket? Log it on Yapta to be notified if/when that price drops so you can renegotiate.
- SeatExpert.com – Never get your knees in your nose at the bulkhead again! Well, maybe they can’t promise that, but you will certainly get some great advice on the best (and worst) seats to pick from on most any flight you’ll be taking!
- KnockingLiveVideo.com – One-to-one video sharing between iPhones! Very cool way to share where you’re at and what you’re doing, live!
The podcast only song of the week this week is Chick Lit by We Are Scientists!