Archive for February, 2010
TOPIC: Mike’s on his own today again, but that just means more time for Jay Garmon to regale us with geek trivia and his unique look on life! We fill in the gaps with some listener mail and answers about PDF files, as well as top news of the week!
The geek trivia question of the week is:
What is the only fan film that has been nominated for the coveted Nebula Screenplay award?
Without Dave around to crack the “it’s time to go!” whip, we get a bunch of great cool sites of the week in!
- Nuance FreePDF Viewer – I promise someday to stop giving you awesome PDF tools … once folks like Nuance stop making them (and giving them away for free)! This one really trumps the basic model Adobe provides by including annotation and conversion tools – as well as being faster too.
- Windows 7 Compatibility – Wondering what happened to the windows compatibility mode? Wonder no more – it’s alive and well, and the How-To Geek gives you the full rundown! Make those old programs run like … well, not new, but make them run anyways!
Podcast only song of the week is the stomping Cage of Ribs by Cara Beth Satalino!
TOPIC: Dave leaves Mike on his own today, but not for long as we bring on Jay Garmon to wish us a happy Valentine’s and give us his answer to last week’s trivia (plus a new one for good luck, naturally), and then to top it off we’re joined by Scott Jordan, CEO and founder of the impressive Scott-e-Vest line of tech-enabled vests and jackets!
The geek trivia question of the week is:
What piece of software was developed specifically due to the record setting Chicago Valentine’s day blizzard of 1978?
Although we had too much fun with Scott and Jay to quit early, we did manage to squeeze in one coolsite of the week, and it’s a doozy:
- LookInMyPC – Need to know what’s going on in your PC, or a friend/relative/acquaintance/annoyance asking you for help with theirs? Run this snappy little utility and get a (nearly) complete breakdown so you know where to start!
The podcast only song of the week this week is the almost country Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked by Cage the Elephant!
TOPIC: Tell the grammar police to stay back, but however you parse it Mike jumps into the iPad-haters shark pool along with Pee-Wee Herman and cadre of others. Including our very own Jay Garmon who, yes, we are impressed with as he comes up with another awesome trivia question!
When did the infamous “1984” superbowl Apple commercial first air (and no, it wasn’t during the superbowl)?
Here’s the coolsites of the week:
- UltraDefrag – The fastest and overall one of the best freeware defrag utilities we’ve seen!
- Sikuli – Want to write a few macros, but don’t have the chops? Sikuli to the rescue with it’s totally graphic screenshot driven style!
- Cool PowerPoint 2007 Tricks – Some pretty nifty tips and tricks to making your next ppt really stand out; with full example and inline instructions. Straight from the horses mouth too (Microsoft, that is)!
The truly podcast only song of the week this week is the pumping Mister Driver by the Plasticines!
Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/mkastler/techtalk.dreamhosters.com/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1056
TOPIC: No, we’re not going to rewrite Olivia Newton John’s masterpiece of pop and legwarmers – instead, we’ve got Dan Newman from MapLight.org on to talk to us about how they are helping voters, constituents,and anyone interested in getting the real scoop on how money and pols mix and match!
Jay Garmon blows us away as usual with his Geek Trivia question:
What did Apple do with all those extra Lisa’s?
And then we’ve got some really great coolsites of the week:
- CHOW.com – Need a little extra help in the kitchen? CHOW will at least show you what you’re doing wrong!
- MajicJack – Awesomely cheap phone calls using voip! Note this isn’t a free option, but it’s low cost enough to make the list, just like …
- WebTel – Make cheap international calls right from your cell phone with webtel! Again, not free like our usual coolsites, but darn close!
If you’re feeling a little MIA, then the podcast only song of the week will make you happy – listen to ‘Queen Dot Kong’ by Do!