Archive for August, 2009
TOPIC: Although we promised you Plextor, you got something even better – a full hour of Dave and Mike! OK, so maybe not so much. How about if I told you we spent extra time with Jay Garmon discussing the missing three weeks of Geek Trivia? And we got our tech on yakking about news like our upcoming trip to Oracle Open World 2009, Microsoft’s possible injunction against selling Word, and then we delve into the “grey” area of technology, hacking and video games!
Don’t worry though, we’re looking to get Plextor back in the near future. Of course, no show would be complete without some of the coolest of the cool sites on the web:
- How to Crack a WEP key – Our good friends at Lifehacker.com give us the full breakdown on how to use the free software Backtrack to crack WEP keys for fun and profit!
- Password Checker – Not sure how secure that password is? Microsoft provides a free and easy way to check it.
And the podcast only song of the week is the rather melancholy “Disney’s Ice Parade” by Ballboy. Note that this has some adult themed lyrics.
On a semi-irregular basis I’ll be putting up polls here and on the main TechTalk website. Or not.
Here’s the results from our previous poll:
TOPIC: We get all geek-a-licious on you this week! Not only do we have our usual ‘Geek Trivia’ with Jay Garmon, but we are also joined by John Graham-Cumming discussing our latest recommended read -“The Geek Atlas: 128 Places Where Science and Technology Come Alive.” We had a great time with the book, and an even better time talking with the author! The Geek Atlas is a wonderful travel guide that not only details locations to go to but the detailed and fascinating science behind why they are some of the most interesting places on earth for the geek in us. Though we didn’t get time for a lot of news and updates, no show would be complete without a whole handful of coolsites of the week:
- GrooveShark – Looking for a tune you just have to hear? This site will find dozens of copies and versions you can stream instantly and for free! Jump on the grooveshark before the RIAA catches wind! 🙂
- TwitCam and CamTweet – Both excellent options for getting your face out there to all your tweeps … easy to set up, easy to use, and (of course) free!
- TheUserManualSite – Looking for a manual? Want to throw out those dozens of paper ones you have in the drawer? Check this free site out to combine all your manuals in one place, organized and downloadable!
The podcast only song of the week is “Dear God” by Black Landlord and is truly podcast only thanks to a few questionable words, so beware. There’s a good chance you won’t be hearing from us for a few weeks … we’re on our summer vacation, but pick up a copy of the “The Geek Atlas” by John Graham-Cumming or hang out and wait for us to come back and talk to Plextor on August 22nd!